I don’t need to build your interest with a description of fire ant bites and stings. If you’ve got them on your property, you don’t need to be reminded.
I was working on a project that involved raking the cut grass from an acre of pasture – I know, kinda kooky. I like to go barefoot or wear flipflops whenever I can. While I was out raking, I turned up numerous hills of fire ants, and they wasted no time attacking my bare feet. I went back inside, and luckily found a natural repellent that I already had on hand. It’s rosemary essential oil.
I already knew about peppermint oil’s ant repelling qualities, and rosemary oil is what we just happened to have around the house. Some other oils might also work.
I just rubbed some on my feet and went back out to work. The ants could still find me, but only one or a few at at time climbed up on to my feet, giving me plenty of time to shake them off and walk to another spot before they could gather for a full attack.
Happy outdoor living!
Thanks to Aggie for participating in the [Grow] Network Writing Contest. We have over $1,500 in prizes lined up for the current writing contest, with more to come. Here is a list of the current pot of prizes:
– A 21.5 quart pressure canner from All American, a $380 value
– A Survival Still emergency water purification still, a $279 value
– 1 year of free membership in the [Grow] Network Core Community, a $240 value
– A copy of The Summer of Survival Complete Collection from Life Changes Be Ready, a $127 value
– 2 copies of the complete Home Grown Food Summit, valued at $67 each
– 3 free 3 month memberships in the [Grow] Network Core Community, valued at $60 each
– The complete 2014 Grow Your Own Food Summit interview series, a $47 value
– 4 copies of the Grow Your Own Groceries DVD video set, valued at $42 each
– A Bug Out Seed Kit from the Sustainable Seed Company, a $40 value
– 4 copies of the Alternatives To Dentists DVD video, valued at $32 each