Over my years of gardening I have seen many grow boxes for sale in gardening centers and online gardening stores. I use a simple design to build my own grow boxes, and I have had a lot of fun and success growing in my homemade boxes.
You can use any type of plastic container that will hold water – this will serve as the water reservoir. Find or make a panel that will fit in the bottom of the reservoir – this will serve as a tray to hold the soil up. Drill holes in the tray so that water can be absorbed up into the potting soil to reach the plant roots. You can use rocks, bricks, or wood blocks to hold the tray up off the bottom of the reservoir. Drill a weep hole in the reservoir, even with or just below the bottom of the tray so that excess water will spill out rather than soaking the soil. Insert a piece of pipe or tubing in one corner, straight to the bottom of the outer container – this is where you will water the container. Using this method it is easy to add fertilizer along with the water to make sure your plants are getting enough nutrients. I have found that plant roots will eventually grow down below the tray, in to the water reservoir below.
These boxes can be used in direct sunlight or under artificial lighting. The boxes can be as big or as small as a person’s imagination. Using this simple design I have had great success growing my vegetables in a very limited amount of space. Good luck!
This article is an entry in our January – March 2015 writing contest. Be sure to rate this article – your vote is an important part of picking the winners!
The current prize pot for this contest is already over $1,300, with more to come! Current prizes include:
- a 21.5 quart pressure canner from All American, a $380 value
- a year of free membership in the [Grow] Network Core Community, $120 value
- the complete “The Summer of Survival” interview series, a $127 value
- a copy of the “Grow Your Own Groceries” DVD video set, $42 value
- a Bug Out Seed kit from the Sustainable Seed Co, $40 value
- a copy of the “Alternatives To Dentists” DVD video, $32 value
- the complete “2014 Grow Your Own Food Summit” interview series, a $47 value
- a complete Travel Berkey Water Filter System, $230 value
- a Survival Still Emergency Water Purification still, $279 value
- 2 garden towers from the Garden Tower Project, valued at $349 each