As the growing season approaches, there is a lot of flipping through seed catalogs, browsing the internet for the perfect grow light, and garden planning going on. We thought it would be fun to poll our TGN team members about their favorite seed starting products and tools.
Every member of The Grow Network team shares our Community’s values and produces at least some of our food and medicine—more and more as we experiment, learn, and “grow” in gardening and homesteading wisdom! And since it’s not always easy to decide which product is the best, we thought we’d share our favorites to make your seed-starting adventure a little simpler!
TGN Team Favorites: Seed Starting Tools and Product Recommendations
Please note this page contains Amazon Affiliate links. The Grow Network is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for our team to earn fees for recommending our favorite products to you! We may earn a small commission, at no additional cost to you, should you purchase an item after clicking one of our links. We really appreciate the support!
VIVERO HOME JAPANESE HORI-HORI GARDEN KNIFE
Anthony Says: The Hori-Hori is my all-time favorite gardening tool. Pretty much anything from grafting fruit trees to starting spring seedlings, the Hori-Hori knife makes the job a little bit easier!
- Double-edged blade—one side serrated, the other extra sharp
- Embedded graded ruler
- Replaces tools like trowels, weeds pullers, digging tools, bulb planters, and more!
- Ships with a premium leather sheath and garden gloves
Marjory Says: I love using this transplanting widger when I am tiny rows to start seeds. It works so great for moving small amounts of soil! 😊
- Ergonomic Hardwood Handle
- Tempered and Hardened Stainless Steel
- Rust Resistant
- Ideal for plug plants and transplanting
Jiffy 36mm Windowsill Greenhouse 12- Plant Starter Kit
Marjory Says: The little Jiffy Greenhouses make it really easy to start seeds indoors. Plus, they fit nicely into a windowsill if you don’t have any grow lights! I know, I know – it’s a lot of plastic. But, you can resue the greenhouse and purchase replacement peat pellets.
- Slender Design, making it easy to store and use on a windowsill
- Clear Plastic Dome retains heat, creating an optimal seed starting environment
- Starts 12 plants from seeds or cuttings
- Pellets expand to form pot and soil all in one
Ruth Says: I already own several of these EarlyGrow propagators, and I use them all the time to start all of my seeds indoors. I like to use them in conjunction with reusable plastic pots and Jiffy Organic Seed Starting Mix. The reason I LOVE these propagators is that they have little vents on the top that allow oxygen in and help prevent molding of the soil. And they’re reusable!
- Made of High Quality, Sturdy Plastic
- Vented dome to control humidity levels
Jimerson Says: Smart Pots are great because they let in oxygen in from all sides for increased growth! I found them to be great for newbies because it helps to prevent overwatering. They also help to prevent mold growth, root rot, and root ball formation prevention by air pruning on sides. Great for use indoor and outdoor use. I really can’t recommend these enough!
- Soft-Sided Fabric Aeration Container
- Retains Shape
- Provides Aeration to enhance root structure
- Allows excess heat to escape
Marjory Says: When I just don’t have time to make my own fertilizers, I like to use a liquid seaweed fertilizer to help boost up the mineral content available to the seedlings!
- Pure Seaweed Extract
- Promotes Vigorous Root and Stem Growth
- Contains Trace Elements
Jimerson Says: With this handy tool, you can test the pH of your water before giving it to your plants (if you’ve got plants that are sensitive about this, or if you are just a super gardening nerd, like me 😊). Also, this is good for testing water runoff of potted plants to get more info on your soil’s pH.
- 100% Durable Plastic
- Highly Efficient and Accurate with Advanced Microprocessor Technology
- Hold Function to save measurements for convenient reading/recording
- Auto-Off Function
- Measurement Range – 0-9999 ppm
Jimerson Says: For those of us who grow indoors or live in apartments, this full spectrum LED grow light is top notch and not overly expensive (relative to others).
- Full Spectrum 300W LED Grow Light
- Emits Wavelengths which are fully absorbed by seedlings
- Works for both Vegetables and Flowers
- Easy to Assemble
- Energy Saving and Eco-Friendly
The Grow Network is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for our team to earn fees for recommending our favorite products! We may earn a small commission, at no additional cost to you, should you purchase an item after clicking one of our links. Thanks for supporting TGN!
This post was written by The Grow Network