Whether you’re browsing seed catalogs right now or actually starting seeds, be sure to check out our 7 favorite seed-starting products and tools!
TGN Team Favorites: Seed-Starting Tools and Product Recommendations
As the growing season approaches, there is a lot of flipping through seed catalogs, browsing the Internet for the perfect grow light, and garden planning going on. We thought it would be fun to poll our TGN team members about their favorite seed-starting products and tools.
Every member of The Grow Network team shares our Community’s values and produces at least some of our food and medicine—more and more as we experiment, learn, and “grow” in gardening and homesteading wisdom! And since it’s not always easy to decide which product is the best, we thought we’d share our favorites to make your seed-starting adventure a little simpler!
HORI-HORI GARDEN KNIFE
Anthony Says: The Hori-Hori is my all-time favorite gardening tool. Pretty much anything from grafting fruit trees to starting spring seedlings, the Hori-Hori knife makes the job a little bit easier!
- Double-edged blade—one side serrated, the other extra sharp
- Embedded graded ruler
- Replaces tools like trowels, weeds pullers, digging tools, bulb planters, and more!
- Features a comfortable wooden handle and ships with a leather sheath
COCO COIR EXPANDABLE SEED STARTING PELLETS
Marjory Says: The Coco Coir Expandable Seed Starting Pellets make it really easy to start seeds indoors. Plus, they fit nicely into a windowsill if you don’t have any grow lights! I know, I know— you might still need a grow light (Click here to see one of her favorites).
- Compact and configurable, making it easy to store and use on a windowsill
- Ability to place in a clear plastic dome propagator to retains heat, creating an optimal seed-starting environment
- Starts 50 plants from seeds or cuttings
- Pellets expand to form pot, soil, and fertilizer all in one
Marjory Says: I love using this transplanting widger when I am creating tiny rows to start seeds. It works so great for moving small amounts of soil!
- Ergonomic hardwood handle
- Tempered and hardened stainless steel
- Rust resistant
- Ideal for plug plants and transplanting
EARLYGROW DOMED PROPAGATOR
Ruth Says: I already own several of these EarlyGrow propagators, and I use them all the time to start all of my seeds indoors. I like to use them in conjunction with reusable plastic pots and coco coir seed starting mix. The reason I LOVE these propagators is that they have little vents on the top that allow oxygen in and help prevent molding of the soil. And the whole system is reusable!
- Made of high-quality, sturdy plastic
- Vented dome to control humidity levels
SMART POT SOFT-SIDED CONTAINER
Jimerson Says: Smart Pots are great because they let oxygen in from all sides for increased growth! I found them to be great for newbies because it helps to prevent overwatering. They also help to prevent mold growth, root rot, and root ball formation by air pruning on the sides. Great for indoor and outdoor use. I really can’t recommend these enough!
- Soft-sided fabric aeration container
- Retains shape
- Provides aeration to enhance root structure
- Allows excess heat to escape
BLUE PLANET NUTRIENTS LIQUID SEAWEED
Marjory Says: When I just don’t have time to make my own fertilizers, I like to use a liquid seaweed fertilizer to help boost up the mineral content available to the seedlings!
- Pure seaweed extract
- Promotes vigorous root and stem growth
- Contains trace elements
- Full-spectrum LED grow light
- Emits wavelengths which are fully absorbed by seedlings
- Works for both vegetables and flowers
- Easy to assemble
- Energy saving and eco-friendly
What Do You Think?
What are your favorite seed-starting tools? Let us know in the comments below!
Please note this page contains Amazon Affiliate links. The Grow Network is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for our team to earn fees for recommending our favorite products to you! We may earn a small commission, at no additional cost to you, should you purchase an item after clicking one of our links. We really appreciate the support!
The Grow Network is a global network of people who produce their own food and medicine. We’re the coolest bunch of backyard researchers on Earth! We’re constantly sharing, discovering, and working together to test new paths for sustainable living—while reconnecting with the “old ways” that are slipping away in our modern world. We value soil, water, sunlight, simplicity, sustainability, usefulness, and freedom. We strive to produce, prepare, and preserve our own food and medicine, and we hope you do, too!