Cayenne pepper is one good way to keep pests out of the garden. We had rats that used to strip our macadamia nut trees before we ever got to harvest a nut for ourselves. I had some habanero tincture that I had made by soaking some ripe habanero peppers in alcohol for a couple of weeks. I mixed the tincture and some lanolin and added some cayenne pepper to make a super hot rat deterrent. I have heard of people using cayenne to keep cats out of their house plants too.
I don’t think the quantities really matter, so there is no “recipe.” I smeared this hot mess on the trunks and branches of the macadamia nut trees and I never saw another rat. I think they all headed for the nearest river with their tongues hanging out!
You recently mentioned a lady by the name of Eileen in Naples, FL who had an escaped bearded dragon eating all of her garden crops. I think that this cayenne solution might do the trick for that reptile pest, if no one is able to catch it. She could sprinkle hot cayenne pepper onto her various plants, and that should help to keep the lizard away. It might eat some of the plants before it learns its lesson, but I would be highly surprised if it came back for a second dose.
Before you serve produce that has been treated with cayenne pepper, you just need to wash it off with soap.
Thanks to Pam Blowers for participating in the [Grow] Network Writing Contest. We have over $1,500 in prizes lined up for the current writing contest, with more to come. Here is a list of the current pot of prizes:
– A 21.5 quart pressure canner from All American, a $380 value
– A Survival Still emergency water purification still, a $279 value
– 1 year of free membership in the [Grow] Network Core Community, a $240 value
– A copy of The Summer of Survival Complete Collection from Life Changes Be Ready, a $127 value
– 2 copies of the complete Home Grown Food Summit, valued at $67 each
– 3 free 3 month memberships in the [Grow] Network Core Community, valued at $60 each
– The complete 2014 Grow Your Own Food Summit interview series, a $47 value
– 4 copies of the Grow Your Own Groceries DVD video set, valued at $42 each
– A Bug Out Seed Kit from the Sustainable Seed Company, a $40 value
– 4 copies of the Alternatives To Dentists DVD video, valued at $32 each